To facilitate 21st Century Learning in the classroom, Duck Learning is committed to providing platforms for educators and students to share and learn best practices in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) Education. Till date, we organise the annual FIRST LEGO League Singapore tournament, the Robofest STEM Conference in collaboration with Rulang Primary School and co-organise the National Junior Robotics Competition with the Science Centre Singapore.
This year, we are proud to organise the Temasek STEM Conference, in collaboration with Temasek Primary School. This inaugural conference provide an excellent opportunity for teachers, mainly from schools in the East Zone of Singapore to learn from distinguished speakers and workshops, share ideas and network with one another to leverage upon each other’s expertise.
More than 100 educators from Primary & Secondary schools in Singapore attended the 2 day STEM conference. We would like to thank our distinguished speakers for their valuable time and for sharing their expertise with us.
- Keynote speech by Mr. Saminathan Gopal, Principal, STEM Inc
- Empowering educators using 21st Century teaching pedagogies by
Mr. Gary Lim, Senior Partners-in-Learning Director, Microsoft Education
- Sharing on STEM Initiatives and Opportunities by the Rob Smith, Snr Technical Architect APC & Esther Nai, Foundation APAC Programs Manager, Salesforce Org
- Sharing by Mrs Seah, HOD of ICT, Temasek Primary School
- Sharing by Mr. Wayne Burnett, Deputy Head (Primary), European Section; Information Literacy Specialist, German European School
- What skills we need to develop in our students today to allow them to thrive in the science and technology industry tomorrow by Mr. Ives Lim, PhD Candidate. Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore
- Sharing on FIRST LEGO League by Mr. Hozefa Aziz, CEO, Duck Learning
Participants also had a hands-on LEGO building experience and discover how hands-on learning can be integrated into multiple subject areas.
- Session 1: Tinkering in the Learning of Interactions & Energy Concepts in Science
- Session 2:Robotics in Work Project Work
- Session 3: Hands-on Language Skills Development Using Technology
- Session 4: Engineering & Systems Thinking in the Classroom
- Session 5:The Middle Road: The foundations of robotics
The Temasek STEM Conference ended with a focus group discussion as well as a STEM Unconference where participants took the lead by discussing how they want to integrate STEM into the education experiences that they provide for students and each group proposed a STEM activity that they will conduct in their school/ group of schools.
About Temasek STEM Conference 2016
Educators and Professionals from the Education Industry will have the opportunity to:
– Learn from the best STEM practices in schools from Singapore and around the region.
– Understand how educators are making hands-on learning an effective way of developing 21st Century Competencies in their students.
– Hands-on LEGO building experience and discover how hands-on learning can be integrated into multiple subject areas
– Collaborate with other participants to create a shared vision and manifesto for STEM Education.
– Find like-minded partners from schools and the industry to help jump-start exciting initiatives in your school.
– Become part of a community of hands-on STEM learning advocates.